Dental Care for Children in Temple Terrace, FL
Childhood is full of milestone moments including celebrating when the first tooth comes in, when the first tooth falls out, visits from the tooth fairy, and toothy grins during school pictures.
We’re pleased to have a pediatric dentist on our team at Advanced Dental Care of Temple Terrace. Pediatric dentists specialize in diagnosing and treating children from infancy through adolescence. As children grow, their oral health needs change and our pediatric dentist will be there to make sure their smiles stay healthy and bright.
When to Take Your Child to the Dentist
Did you know that the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends you take your child to the dentist by your child’s first birthday? Our pediatric dentist can confirm baby teeth are coming in correctly and look for signs of baby bottle tooth decay or other problems that can cause cavities. Tooth decay is the most common chronic childhood disease; it’s more common than asthma, diabetes, and even early-childhood obesity. In fact, 14% of children aged 3-5 had untreated dental caries (cavities); one in five children between the ages of 5 and 11 have at least one untreated cavity; and 13% of teenagers have at least one tooth with dental decay, according to the American Dental Association.
If cavities aren’t treated, they can lead to a painful toothache. Dental decay can affect a child’s ability to speak, eat, sleep, and learn. It can also affect their self-esteem in negative ways.
Regular dental visits for professional teeth cleanings, combined with a daily routine of brushing and flossing at home, can prevent cavities and other problems from developing. Our pediatric dentist in Temple Terrace is an expert at getting even young children to open their mouths so they can receive the dental care they need to have a healthy smile. Plus, we’ll share tips on what you can do at home to create healthy habits that will lead to a lifetime of beautiful smiles.
Dental Services for Children
Our children’s dentist at Advanced Dental Care of Temple Terrace provides a comprehensive list of services to keep your child smiling. These include:
- Teeth Cleanings for Children: Only a dental professional can remove cavity-causing plaque from hard-to-reach areas. Our experienced pediatric dentist and hygienist will explain every step of the process in kid-friendly terms. Plus, children get to pick a prize out of the treasure box after their appointment.
- Fluoride: Fluoride is often called nature’s cavity-fighter. We apply a topical fluoride to children’s teeth to make them more resistant to decay.
- Dental Sealants: It can be hard for children to properly brush their back teeth, and food tends to get stuck in the nooks and crannies. The American Dental Association found that school-aged children without sealants have almost three times more cavities than children with sealants. Our pediatric dentist can apply a clear plastic sealant over the chewing surfaces of those teeth, sealing the grooves and keeping out food and bacteria.
- Fillings: If your child does have a cavity, we’ll remove the damaged area of the tooth and repair it with a filling. We even offer tooth-colored fillings to keep your child’s smile bright.
- Bonding: We understand that accidents happen and your child may have a chipped tooth or even a small fracture. We can restore your child’s smile with tooth-colored bonding materials to repair the damaged area.
- Pediatric Crowns: Sometimes a tooth is too damaged to repair with bonding or with a filling. In that case, our pediatric dentist in Temple Terrace can place a tooth-colored crown over the tooth to strengthen it and restore its biting power.
- Extractions: If your child’s teeth are too crowded, or if a baby tooth is blocking a permanent tooth from coming in correctly, then it may be necessary to remove a tooth. We’ll make sure your child is completely comfortable and will explain what’s happening in simple, reassuring terms. Plus, your child gets to keep the tooth to put under the pillow for the tooth fairy.
- Space Maintainers: If a baby tooth is extracted, or if it falls out or is knocked out due to an accident, then our pediatric dentist can place a space maintainer in the child’s mouth. That keeps the surrounding teeth from drifting out of position, and keeps the space open so the permanent tooth can come in correctly.
- Mouthguards: Whether it’s falling off a balance beam or getting hit by a flying elbow, accidents happen in sports. Our pediatric dentist can create a customized mouthguard for your child to protect his or her teeth from injury. The American Dental Association recommends mouthguards be worn for more than 60 types of athletic activities, including gymnastics, skateboarding, ice skating, field hockey, basketball, and football.
Dental Services for Children with Special Needs
Our pediatric dentist has completed advanced training in order to care for children with special needs, including children who have physical, medical, developmental, or cognitive conditions. For example, our pediatric dentist is trained to help children with autism, Down Syndrome, ADD, ADHD, and sensory impairments.
Please let our team know if you are making an appointment for a child with special needs or with anxiety so we may discuss any special accommodations. Please also let us know if your child is on any medication or has any issues that may require medical clearance from the child’s pediatrician. We look forward to talking to you and learning how we can ensure your child’s visit is smooth.