Lifelong Dental Health Begins at an Early Age
Unfortunately, kids don’t come with an instruction manual. Every parent knows that helpful tips along the way and reliance on past experiences can help you shape the future for your children. However, one thing that most parents seem to know well is the importance of teaching their kids about good dental care. Daily brushing and flossing is not only a lesson in dental health, but also an early lesson in responsibility. Routine visits to the dentist should be a cornerstone of early habits—teaching kids not to fear the dentist and carefully monitoring their oral health. Using the following tips from family dentistry experts, you can promote good dental care and make sure your child doesn’t develop dental fears.
1. Promote optimal dental care early by taking your child to see a dentist in Temple Terrace at a young age. Your child’s first visit to the dentist should occur around the age of one year. This will allow your child to begin to become familiar with the experience and get to know the dentist.
2. Role-play the dental experience to prepare your child for a lifetime of good dental care. You can play the role of a dentist by asking your child to “open wide” and counting their teeth. Then, switch roles so your child can be the dentist, counting your teeth.
3. Read books about going to the dentist to ease dental fears. Many books have been written to teach kids about family dentistry and good dental care. Start reading these books to your children at an early age to prepare them for what to expect when they go the dentist.
4. Consider a pediatric dentist. Pediatric dentists provide a child-friendly environment and the expertise to help you teach your kids proper dental care habits. They are ideal for kids who have dental fears or are especially nervous or shy.
5. Take your child with you to your dentist visits. This is a great opportunity for your child to become familiar with the family dentistry office, reducing any dental fears by observing your experience at the dentist.
6. Don’t share your dental fears with your children. If you have dental fears, don’t let your kids know. Showing anxiety about going to the dentist or describing negative experiences can cause your child to develop dental fears.
Find a family dentistry office with a caring staff and compassionate, affordable dentist in Temple Terrace to make your child’s dental care experience a positive one.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Temple Terrace, call Advanced Dental Care of Temple Terrace today at (813) 440-3981 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Temple Terrace. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Temple Terrace, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Temple Terrace.